Thursday 5 April 2012

My favourite running songs

So on Sunday I ran a  16 mile race on my own. Since I knew that I'd be towards the back of the pack I decided to bring along my mp3 player. I usually listen to music when I'm running on my own, it keeps me going, gives me something to run in time to and when the right song comes on at the right time can give me a lift almost equivalent to having taken an energy gel.

There are some songs on my playlist that always help me to run just that bit faster or help me dig in when things are feeling tough so I thought I'd share those with you

Florence and the Machine - Dog Days Are Over

I remember seeing the documentary on Eddie Izzard when he did his crazy running challenge and this was the soundtrack. How can you not run faster when the song is telling you to?



Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride

An 80s classic which makes me smile as I'm running





The Futureheads - Hounds of Love

One of my favourite ever covers, when this song comes on my feet seem to magically want to move faster.





Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of

I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea - it's noisy, it's angry and it's sweary. But I love it - it takes me back to my student days and there's nothing better than getting to a tough bit in a run, listening to this track and shouting "**** you I won't do what you tell me" at your legs. Works for me anyway!




Eminem feat Nate Dogg - Till I Collapse

This may be my favourite running track ever - it's especially good when I've hit a rough patch. The first few lines of the lyrics just stop any negative thoughts I'm having and the beat just seems to make my feet move in time with it. One for mile 20 onwards of the marathon I think!

Sometimes you just feel tired, feel weak
And when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up
But you gotta search within you, try to find that inner strength
and just pull that s*** out of you
And get that motivation not to give up, and not be a quitter
No matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face, and collapse




The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition

Something a little less shouty to finish with. This song makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It's brilliant.




I am always looking to add to my running music collection so tell me - what's your favourite running track?

No comments: